Saturday, September 18, 2010

KICK ASS CRIT PARTNERS!

Crit partners. Most of us got 'em. Some don't. For those of you in the former group, you need to find your partner in crime.

Finding someone to help you along your journey is not easy. For me, I needed someone who was going to make my MS bleed, a person who could be totally honest without fear of me crawling into a hole and crying.
Everyone knows who mine is ... how could you not? Her bark is bigger than my bite.

Charli.

Everyone I have shared crits with has enlightened my view on my work, and I hope I've reciprocated. Many thanks to Jill, GH Winner, for helping me see things I could not. She's right where she deserves to be, and I wish her all the success in the world :-)

Here's my prescription or recipe if you will for finding that perfect partner.

1. Find someone who can push you and tear your MS a new one. And by new one, I mean someone who can make your page red with comments, suggestions, and compliments.

2. If that certain someone sends over a piece of writing that knocks your socks off, or makes you weep, you're golden. (Secretly, you think she's so good, your afraid for her to look at your work, but you do. You've got mucho balls.)

3. He/she are amazed by your story, and brainstorm when you have the dreaded writers block.

4. You and your partner have a mutual respect for each others talent. YOU believe in their work as much as they believe in yours.

5. Lastly, she's willing to drive across state lines to save your ass from an American jail. (This is the MOST important one of them all. If she can't bail you out, your screwed!)
Well, that's all for now folks. Today is my birthday, and I have much eating/drinking/shopping to do! See ye all next week lads and lassies!

Here's a little present to all of our lady followers. A gift from Charli to me to you. A little something to get your creative juices going . . . a sexy man, what a fabulous gift!


14 comments:

  1. I have two special crit partners that I'd love to thank. From critters, I have Liza who's very good at telling me when I'm not making sense and double checks my characters body parts with her Barbies and Kens. Then I have Hailey from Divas who writes the same genre as me and gets what I'm talking about when brainstorming. She also has the same ideas about plot, characters, and motivation as I do.

    Find those who won't hold back their opinion and my RESPECTING that opinion is great. It took a lot of trial and error in finding the right combo.

    I also have a cheering squad when I need a shoulder to cry on and that's Rebecca and Joann. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had many crit partners over the last year and everyone one of them have helped me--even it was to point out a missing comma. But there are four who I owe my sanity to. Not only are they trusted and respected writers in their own right, but they have all helped me make my MS better.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Gerard Butler is MINE. Everyone back off, I had the distinct pleasure of meeting him in Philly. They shot LAW ABIDING CITIZEN where I work, in my office for some scenes. I gushed, he actually chatted with me like a local Philly boy just hanging out.

    SIGH. Ye ladies cannae look. But ye cannae touch. ALL MINE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FOR ME LOVELY JAWS! She is me kick arse crit partner. She has me back and I, hers. She is the best lassies. I can only hope ye find the like. I love her MS so much I comment, email, and IM in a Scottish Brogue...

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Get yerself foxed already. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to say, happy birthday, J. hope it's a goody.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy B-day Jodie! Great post... and in that regard, a big "thank you ladies" for all great crits and comments, especially Ambriells, who must be bored stiff with my MS, but keeps reading anyway. Theres a lot of valuable insight and information being shared in the group, thanks to all of you who've shared, or maybe just lifted my spirits sometime when I was down. Now,it's time to PART'E! Have fun. Kathy Fox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yer all grand lassies! Tis been a grand day! Thanks for stopping by :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, AJ...thanks for sharing your inspirational picture! *grins* I don't have a 'real' crit partner. Well, there is my sister. Yeah, I know all the horror stories about using family--this woman is a monster--and I love her. Then there's my cheering section of Rebecca, Annie, and Teirney--couldn't be where I am without them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i too don't have a 'real' crit partner. I have my friends who i run ideas past and they take a gander at my writings. they are honest people and i love them dearly- but since i'm relatively new to this whole critting scene i don't expect to find my writing soulmate over night...but that'd be cool:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My beta readers have really whipped me into shape, for sure!!! Indispensable, they are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only had one crit partner so far. She's a very close friend and an aspiring writer herself, although she's put her writing dreams on hold for quite a while now. She's been very helpful, but doesn't have as much time for critting these days as she once did. I joined the Rom-Critters group, but haven't posted anything yet. I don't think it's an easy thing to find a crit partner who gets you and your story and can make helpful comments and suggestions while helping you retain your individuality as a writer. Plus, taste is such a subjective thing. Can a critter really be objective about a story that just doesn't suit their tastes, no matter how much it might ring someone else's bells? I think it's best if you can find someone who's tastes are similar in style to your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and I could listen to Gerard Butler talk all day, and any other guy with a Scottish accent for that matter. I have a major love thing for Scottish burrs and Irish brogues. Must be my Irish/Scottish ancestry. ;-) I hate that he has an American accent in so many of his movies anymore. Have you guys ever seen him in "Dear Frankie"? Awesome Scottish movie he did several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ginny, Dear Frankie is my fave movie of his! LOVE THAT, CRY EVERY TIME.

    Crit partners... it takes a while to cultivate the right relationship. Hang in there.

    I haven't forgotten you. Now that my partial is done I am getting my bearings back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah I cry every time I watch it too. He is dead SEXY in that movie.

    No worries on the crit. Glad to hear you've gotten your partial done. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete