Tuesday, September 21, 2010

PRACTICALLY PERFECT~Ledge Tuesday

Mary Poppins lived on the LEDGE. Seriously. Window ledges, rooftop ledges, sidewalk painting ledges, even sat on clouds checking her face.

But she was PERFECT.

Practically perfect in every way.

Bitch.

I am a reality TV junkie. I love the Real Housewives series. Especially those crazy peaches from Atlanta. This weekend re-runs from last season ran back to back. Kandi was in the middle of shopping around her new solo album. She made a comment that struck a nerve with me. It reminded me that much of the entertainment business is the same. Whether it's music, movies, or writing.

You need to be PERFECT.

Editors are no longer helping you shine your product. Publishers no longer take you under their wing while you PERFECT your work.

Hence my bazillionth re-write. (BTW, isn't Kandi gorgeous! Love that girl. But, I digress.)
Here is what I learned most on this crazy re-write ride. LISTEN TO THE ADVICE OUT THERE!!! When you complete the first draft of your first novel, step back. Let it sit. Don't look at it, don't send it out. Go back a few weeks later and re-read.

Enter a CONTEST. It's a great way to get unbiased feedback about your work.

I queried way too early. My MS was not ready. I changed the opening and as a result I am combing through the entire MS making it as tight and strong as my new opening. I am making it as PERFECT as I can.

It's a lot of work. A LOT.

It's a process where you are stripped down to your lowest level. I hit rock bottom, big time.

It's the most fun you'll ever have-if you truly love the craft.

It's writing.

It's what I was meant to do.

So, I am done the re-write of my opening. I caught the chicken. Mickey is proud. I am too.


5 comments:

  1. I hear ya!! A LOT OF work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard work pays off--or that's what I'm hoping, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree--lots of re-writes, lots of work, but it leads to growth. Cool.

    Problem: The ideal is to be PERFECT, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to achieve. It's like an event horizon in a black hole. You can move toward it for infinity and never reach it.

    Encouraging, no? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LB, well, when you put it that way...*Charli pours a glass of wine* I guess near perfect will suffice. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i guess what confuses me is that what do editor do then? if they are handed perfection then there no need to edit right? I am fully on board with growing and expanding myself as a writer..it's good to know what you're doing, but even if I revise to every inch of my ms' life it will never be perfect. maybe editors and the like expect so much of us writers is because there are so many of us- makes it easier for them to weed through the crap...i dunno i think there's something to had with the 'diamond in the rough'

    ReplyDelete