Wednesday, August 25, 2010

FAMOUS AUTHORS DIDN'T KNOW SQUAT EITHER!

I am tired of people telling me about rules, people who yet to have their all knowing asses publish a single word. (I am not talking about my crit partner. JAWS scares the shit out of me.) I am talking about those people who always chat about the industry, of what is accepted, yada… what is considered popular, yada… and what will NOT get me published, YADA friggin YADA!

When I read how some of my favorite authors got in the business, I laughed! Here are some facts people:

Nicholas Sparks’ The Notebook was in the slush pile of one agent, when another perused said pile and the title caught her eye. The rest is tear jerking history.

Stephanie Meyer sent out fifteen, as she put, sucky queries, and finally an agent bit. Tweeners have never been the same, well since NKOTB!

Dan Brown was a failed musician and wanna-be pop-star, no shit, before his little story about a guy who searched for the literal Holy Grail became the world’s best selling novel to date.

Jodi Picoult started out writing for DC Comics, the Wonder Woman series! Double no shit!

Nora Roberts’ first six manuscripts were all rejected by Harlequin. She later got published and we all know she’s lived happily ever after.

Many authors talk about how they got started. And there is a similar theme. Pesky characters clamoring about their wee noggins. Voices that would not be silenced. Did they know about all the rules, NO. Did they know how to write a query, NO. A synopsis, NO.

Bottom line, they all had some damned good stories to tell. And they had a damned good way of telling them.

I stand firm that I believe in my characters. I love them, am really in love with them all. Not only that, I love writing. I love the crazy ups and downs. I love making my characters breathe. And I want the masses to love them too.


So, with all these facts I know I am in a good place. I have great critters, friends, and supporters cheering me on. My daughter and niece can’t believe I am doing this and I have even caught them writing stories. My BFF finally read my first three chaps and the way she described being drawn into their world made me tear up. My hubby, the alpha male, believes every sex scene I write is no doubt all about him. The ego, but it has made for some interesting evenings, being that he feels he is always on a stage!

If my fellow critique partners, friends, and family get what I am doing, then somewhere…out there…someone in the industry may too.

Charli Mac, signing out.

***THIS IS A RECYCLED POST FROM ANOTHER BLOG I POSTED ON. FUNNY HOW I PUMP MYSELF UP HERE, THE CHARLI THEN WOULD BE SO DISAPPOINTED IN ME NOW. THERE IS NO ASPIRING AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT TODAY. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A SPOTLIGHT, EMAIL US. WE'D LOVE TO HAVE YOU. ;)

7 comments:

  1. No one starts at the top ... even if we like to be there. Wink, wink.

    It takes passion, drive, ambition, dedication, and it doesn't happen over night. What one agent loves, another will loath.

    STAY TRUE to your voice, lass :-) or else I'll send the legbreakers after ye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The faster you rise the harder you fall...and wasn't it the tortoise who one the race? Very few people in this world actually go for their dreams. We are the crazy few who are doing just that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very few people have the balls, for lack of a better work, to keep going after they've fallen, over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate those kinds of know it alls too. I'm glad you've figured out how subjective their advice is too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, like the whole prologue argument. The last 10 books I've read have them. Then the non pubbed writers swear that agents and editors hate them. Like, what agents and editors, how do you know this, you're in the same boat as me. LOL. Ranting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Charli! Very interesting.
    It's hard work being a writer, but somebody has to do it:)
    Great to hear from u!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I can tell you for certain that the little tidbit about prologues that you hear is utter bull. I heard that same load about trilogies--particularly the kind that doesn't have closure in each individual novel *of* that trilogy.

    oops.

    Guardians has a prologue, a prophecy, a glossary and my god...there's nearly no closure at the end of book one---just like in LOTR, I leave my readers ready to string me by my toes.

    Well...there's a little closure. I'm not totally off my rocker. Still, the point is, I agree with you. I think these folks just want rules because it makes them feel safer. AS if, somehow, they follow those rules, they're sure to get picked up. I was told that because my novel was 127,000 my chances of getting picked up by anyone (big or small) were akin to winning the lottery.

    oops.

    Great post! Glad you shared your thoughts on this. I agree.

    ReplyDelete